Re: [LUG] Mono Laser Printer

David Bell wrote:

>> I've had some issues with various Samsung printers and their PPD's with
>> CUPS.
>
> Since starting using GNU/Linux in '98 I have used various HP, Epson and
> Samsung printers.  I never had any printing problems with the boxed distros
> until I started installing Debian Woody, then Sarge.  I found that, by trial
> and error, essential extra files/packages had to be added in order to get
> printers up and running under CUPS.

That's a possibility - I do use Debian (etch), but from what I remember
the PPD's I downloaded from Samsung's site were in a completely
different format to the (working) HP ones when viewed in a text editor.

Obviously I missed some critical step, and I really ought to go back and
do it. I have a lovely Samsung network colour laser in the office which
it would be nice to print stuff to.

> Debian seems to have failed and frustrated many would be users, by omitting
> the automatic selection of these dependencies to support the CUPS printing
> application.  This has certainly been my experience with Debian versions of
> KDE - until I changed to Kubuntu :-)

Headless server. I've written a quite extensive database in perl which
does automated reports once a day through the printer, throws out
letters and stuff. Having printer support in perl on a linux box with
cups is as simple as

system("cat textfile |lp");

Lovely!