Re: [LUG] UK Universities and Open Source

On Friday 18 August 2006 15:40, Simon Williams wrote:

> I hope so. The article which started this thread got me thinking- I'm
> going to Bristol in Oct to do computer science- is the university going
> to stop me from releasing my code to the open source community? Chances
> are that anything I do for coursework or whatever will be something that
> the community would benefit from. Are they even legally allowed to stop
> me releasing it?

As far as I'm aware if they set the task and you use their computers to code
it, they own the copyright...

But I wouldn't worry. Having just finished a computer-sciency course myself, I
only did one piece of work that was worth releasing - which I just did,
without consulting my university (I chose the project and coded it on my own
machine, so I figure they have no legitimate claim over it).

Most of the stuff I wrote at uni would be of no practical use to other
people - little games, simple client-server apps and so on designed to help
you learn aspects of the language.

Regards,
David.

--