Re: [LUG] UK Universities and Open Source

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> I know (first hand) that when you write a scientific paper to get it
> published in a journal you have to sign the copyright over to the
> publishers. Now because of that I can't even place MY papers on MY
> website for download as some other **** holds the copyright.

That is changing though, and may have changed, at least for my lot.
It goes along with author pays* for publishing and pubmedcentral and
developments in creative commons and so on.

Welcome Foundation requires it now.

So with that and the author's moral rights you can probably publish
something at least similar to most work not done directly for hire.

I tended to offer "First serial rights" on the occasional thing I sold,
which achieved the intended effect.

* out of their grant for doing the work that lead to the publication,
notionally at least.