Re: [LUG] UK Universities and Open Source

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 16:15 +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On 8/18/06, Simon Williams <systemparadox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I hope so. The article which started this thread got me thinking- I'm
> > going to Bristol in Oct to do computer science- is the university going
> > to stop me from releasing my code to the open source community? Chances
> > are that anything I do for coursework or whatever will be something that
> > the community would benefit from. Are they even legally allowed to stop
> > me releasing it?
>
> Providing you don't sign anything that waves your copyright or signs
> the copyright over to the university then it is your code to do with
> as you please.

At Plymouth, this is part of the enrolment form - I can't remember the
exact wording, but it makes it impossible to enrol without assigning
copyright for anything you do as part of your course to the university.

I don't know how common this is; do (any|many|most) other unis do this?

        bma