Re: [LUG] UK Universities and Open Source

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 04:51:11PM +0100, David Johnson wrote:
> As far as I'm aware if they set the task and you use their computers to code
> it, they own the copyright...
>
> But I wouldn't worry. Having just finished a computer-sciency course myself, I
> only did one piece of work that was worth releasing - which I just did,
> without consulting my university (I chose the project and coded it on my own
> machine, so I figure they have no legitimate claim over it).

They could argue they do, as you may have used university resources
(lecturers etc) to create it, but you'd have to check your agreement.

You may be able to negotiate inserting aclause to allow you to release
code under GPL, but in practice I doubt the uni would chase you up at an
undergrad level for anything you create GPL wise. If you made Flickr as
your 3rd ear project, you'd have a different problem.

> Most of the stuff I wrote at uni would be of no practical use to other
> people - little games, simple client-server apps and so on designed to help
> you learn aspects of the language.

Indeed, the question is can you work on GPL projects outside your work,
you'd have to check the small print and consult a lawyer if neccersary
before signing any legal agreement.