Re: [LUG] A couple of problems

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 19:52, richardwsanders@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> PROBLEM 1
> I am having problems booting from some live live CD's - history is as
> follows:
>
> Ubuntu breezy Live CD used to work fine
> i think i then installed a new hard drive
> Live CD no longer worked
> however Knoppix 4.02 live CD did boot fine
> Dapper live CD does NOT boot
> Knoppix 5.0 live CD does not boot (it boots ok on my other PC)
> but Knoppix 4.02 live CD still boots ok
> the latest Dapper live CD doesn't boot either
>
> whats going on here?

In what way do they not boot? Do they not start to load at all, or do they get
part-way then freeze?

> I have tried changing this:
> title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-k7
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-k7 root=/dev/sdb4 ro quiet splash
> initrd /initrd.img-2.6.15-26-k7
> savedefault
> boot
>
> To (hd1,1) - but it couldn't find a root partition

That's strange; have a look in your /boot/grub/device.map file. It possibly
needs updating since you added the second drive. It should contain the
following:

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb

If you're coming to the BBQ on Sunday, I'd suggest you bring it along for
people to take a look at.

> PROBLEM 2
> My sound works (e.g. movies and MP3's) except for system sounds that don't
> (e.g. the little drumming sounds that play when Ubuntu first starts).  It
> used to work before i changed sound cards.

Have you looked under System -> Preferences -> Sound and ensured that the
sounds are enabled and the correct default sound card is selected?

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson