[LUG] A couple of problems

Posted by "Richard Sanders" <richardwsanders@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all

Well here goes with a few of my problems with Linux, but first off some basic info.

* PC is dual boot WinXP and Ubuntu Dapper (32bit)

* Dapper mostly works fine but with a few annoting problems that i don't know how to
fix.

* Mobo is an Asus A8N-E with an Athlon64 3000+

* I had 1 SATA2 hard drive and then added a second (which when i think some problems
started)

* Sound for WinXP is a XiFi but for Dapper i have to use the onboard sound - Onboard
sound is run from the Nvidia sound driver which is OSS - Sound problems started
after swirching to the onboard sound (previously a Soundblaster card)

If you need any specific info on my linux setup please let me know what you need and
how to run it.

PROBLEM 1
I am having problems booting from some live live CD's - history is as follows:

Ubuntu breezy Live CD used to work fine
i think i then installed a new hard drive
Live CD no longer worked
however Knoppix 4.02 live CD did boot fine
Dapper live CD does NOT boot
Knoppix 5.0 live CD does not boot (it boots ok on my other PC)
but Knoppix 4.02 live CD still boots ok
the latest Dapper live CD doesn't boot either

whats going on here?

What i think may be the problem is as follows:

I think it was after i installed an extra hard drive that i had big problems
everytime there wa a kernal update in that my /boot/grub/menu.lst file would get
updated to boot from sda whereas my boot drive is sdb - so i always have to remember
to manually edit the file before i reboot - a bit of a pain if you forget!!!

I am thinking that some live CD's try to boot from sda only and others will keep
looking until they find a real boot drive????

I have tried changing this:
title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-k7
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-k7 root=/dev/sdb4 ro quiet splash
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.15-26-k7
savedefault
boot

To (hd1,1) - but it couldn't find a root partition

PROBLEM 2
My sound works (e.g. movies and MP3's) except for system sounds that don't (e.g. the
little drumming sounds that play when Ubuntu first starts).  It used to work before
i changed sound cards.

I followed these instructions but no luck:
<<http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper#How_to_configure_sound_to_work_properly_in_GNOME>>

As my sound is OSS (using Nvidia sound drivers with onboard mobo sound) is this why
these instructions aren't helping - and if so any idea how to get it working?

i have an oss.conf file where the esd one is but it only contains:
OSSLIBDIR=/usr/lib/oss

Thanks in advance

Richard
--