Re: [LUG] TV tuners

On Sunday 06 August 2006 11:23, Simon Waters wrote:

> I have a Knoppmyth R5C7 CD to have a play with when needed.

Just to say that I've been running MythTV for a while now, no problem with
detecting any of the PCI or USB devices I've thrown at it (well, apart from
one where I had to hack the kernel...) - make sure you're using the most
recent kernel though.

> No one seems to mention teletext or other funky features of terrestrial
> digital, does it all "just work"? And the DVB radio?

With MythTV DVB radio does indeed just work. As for teletext (aka MHEG)
support is *just* getting into the MythTV SVN tree - I tried it a few months
ago and it was pretty broken, but it did just about work. It's probably fixed
now.

> My inclination is to use Debian though which is probably what you
> guessed. However both Redhat, Ubuntu and Novell (at least the SuSE
> people) do get this free software thing.

If you're going to run something like MythTV, which takes over the whole
desktop, there's no use in going for polished distros because you won't see
them :-)
I went with a minimal install of Ubuntu (no KDE, GNOME etc., just a
lightweight window manager and MythTV compiled from sources).

>> I remember reading somewhere you should reckon on ~700MHz for each tuner
>> card.
>
> Hmm, the nice quiet small box that I was hoping to use is looking
> slightly under powered ?! Guess I'll try it first, and see.

That sounds about right, but I'd suggest a minimum of 1GHz - as has been
discussed on the list previously, MythTV is pretty processor-hungry. A
hardware MPEG decoder would solve the problem, but beware of Via C3 boards as
the on-board MPEG decoder is useless (even in Windows).

> Funnily enough the box I was hoping to use has a TV out on the
> motherboard, with drivers from an 'Alan Cox' or someone, although I'm
> not sure I ever tried using it. It also has a built in infrared port
> which would be dead handy if it has enough oompf.

Most cards come with IR and remote controls, which generally work just fine if
the card is supported.

Regards,
David.

--