Re: [LUG] TV tuners

Alex Charrett wrote:

> I'm doing the DVB-T thing very happily with 2 Terratec Cinergy 1400
> cards under FC4 (which I'm *sure* you won't want to use :) ) and MythTV.

Thanks, cheaper than the card I was looking at as well, and available
retail in the UK now (it all gets easier with time).

I have a Knoppmyth R5C7 CD to have a play with when needed.

No one seems to mention teletext or other funky features of terrestrial
digital, does it all "just work"? And the DVB radio?

FC4 I doubt, I might use FC5 - although to be honest in the distro wars
SuSE looks shiniest and best, but that might be because their latest
release was only last month so they have the newest of everything. At
LRL they were showing compiz (enough to make Apple share holders cry),
along with Xen, and some other cool server stuff.

My inclination is to use Debian though which is probably what you
guessed. However both Redhat, Ubuntu and Novell (at least the SuSE
people) do get this free software thing.

> I remember reading somewhere you should reckon on ~700MHz for each tuner
> card.

Hmm, the nice quiet small box that I was hoping to use is looking
slightly under powered ?! Guess I'll try it first, and see.

> The biggest problem I encountered though was getting TV-out going under
> Linux, as support seems to be limited at best.

Funnily enough the box I was hoping to use has a TV out on the
motherboard, with drivers from an 'Alan Cox' or someone, although I'm
not sure I ever tried using it. It also has a built in infrared port
which would be dead handy if it has enough oompf.

But I'm not sure how much of the on-board cleverness is really
supported, as in theory the right combination of software and hardware
ought to let me use the on-board Mpeg hardware here I think which ought
to save some power requirement. As with so much of this technology the
features are in there somewhere if only I can get to use them
effectively. Disk space is an issue, at which I can probably only throw
money. I have plenty of bays to fill on my other box.