Re: [LUG] TV tuners

Alex Charrett wrote:

> If Fedora of any version is a consideration, the ATrpms third party
> repository maintain MythTV rpms for Fedora (http://atrpms.net/), which
> make life a lot easier!

Debian has a MythTV team, but sounds like they are struggling to make
the debs DFSG compatible. Doesn't mean they don't have debs, just not in
"free".

> I think suck-it-and-see before laying out on lots of new hardware is a
> good approach.  If ~700Mhz is correct

The documentation at Myth TV on this is very good. If the card does the
Mpeg encoding itself you can get away with fairly minimal hardware. But
my P4 box will do two simultaneous encodings, and a playback at the same
time easily, so it might not be worth the struggle.

I've got side tracked at the moment reading about DDT reception issues.

Whilst it doesn't look it from here, the megalithia website claims that
Aylesbear is in my line of sight (something is in my line of sight, but
it looks like the house at the top of the close from here ;), especially
the ancient historical monument. I guess removing about 40m from the
height of Aylebear common is not on. But we didn't make any changes to
the antenna or cabling here when we stuck in my dads old freeview box,
so perhaps I should be grateful anything works at all.

Seems that Exeter escapes the line of sight issue with Aylebear just, so
I assume they get their digital TV from Stockland hill (just South East
of Honiton) as well?

The digitalspy people are very big on quality cable, like most radio
engineer types. The cable here is as cheap as it comes, and has far too
many boxes plugged into it in the attic, I think lightning protector
(hmm wonder if this will really help much with an antenna in the loft!),
booster, and then splitter, but it was all done before I moved in, I may
have the booster manual somewhere, but I bet it doesn't mention digital
TV ;)

I always meant to sort a decent FM antenna here when I started fiddling
with the aerials, but I think Internet technology has left that behind
as well.

I'm curious as to what proportion of people, if any, get flawless
freeview reception, I'm guessing few if any given what I'm reading.
Presumably those in Honiton should be getting good reception.

> I have an ATI card lying around that's TV out, but I only managed to get
> the console on the TV (not much good for video, unless you fancy
> watching Top Gear with aalib!)

Well it could improve some bits.

> before going with the hardware 'no need for drivers' option.

Fortunately this is one I can test without laying out any money at all,
or any use of screwdrivers, alum keys, or new cables.