Re: [LUG] Problem with nroff output

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 04:11:40PM +0100, Mike Martin wrote:
> Anyone here dealt with issues with the piping of man pages to a file?
>
> I have this
> zcat <manpage>|nroff -man >file
>
> If I leave the redirect out it looks fine (ie: no >file), however if I
> ppe the outputand then open the file I get mangeled headers eg:
>
> N^HNA^HAA^HAM^HME^HEE
>
> anyone any ideas whats happening here (only happens with Headings)

That's certainly what's given by the command, looking at the file with
"hexdump -c" or "cat -A". ^H should delete the previous character.

If I type "less file", I get the man page, complete with bold. If I
"export TERM=na", I get a warning about my unfunctional terminal, but
then see the text plain. What program are you using to look at the file?
What do you want to look at the file with?