Re: [LUG] Damned Small Linux

David Bell wrote:
> The other day I "rescued" an Intel Celerion P500+ box from the recycling centre as
> it looked in good condition, complete with a removable HDD tray.  I checked it out
> and found that someone had installed SuSE v10 on it, found it incredibly slow and
> promptly junked it.
>
> I intended to use it to upgrade my IPCop box but firstly installed Damn Small
> Linux on the HDD to check the box see what DSL was like.  It ran so fast that I
> then installed it on this, my old IPCop box, a P133 with 96Mb of RAM.  Again I was
> very surprised haw fast the applications on DSL ran. Looks like a very interesting
> little Debian based distro and ideal as a starter distro for someone with very
> limited means who is interested in trying GNU/Linux out.  There are plenty of
> applications on this 50Mb distro, including APT.  The person who ditched the P500
> (leaving his name and address in an Open Office document) did me a favour:-)

I too have been inpressed by DSL's speed and bundled apps.  It was nice
to play around with a different window manager as well.

However, when I used it to try and recover a Dell Laptop with WinXp
installed I had no real success for two reasons :- It failed to pick up
any network, neither card nor wireless, and it could not write to NTFS.

It is possible or even probable that these issues were caused by either
Dell's imcompetance or mine.  And I believe I could have tweaked DSL to
  include NTFS, but didn't have the time.

But, as David said, for 50mb a whole OS is pretty amazing really.
Although, when burning to CD I did feel guilty for wasting the rest of
the space available!

Wills