[LUG] Remote Login

Am off to India for a month where I will need access to files on my desktop
(debian etch) while there: including openoffice files

I will have access to a computer while there, but do not want to leave any
files etc behind.

Question

Can anyone provide any recommendations of the "best way" to set this up?
(apart from getting a laptop which I refuse to carry).

From this computer I access a couple of other computers via ssh, I presume
that if I ssh into this computer then I use this computer to access the
others. Unless this is a security problem?

Thought 1

    My initial thought would be to burn a copy of PuppyLinux /
    DamnSmallLinux. Use that to set up a ssh session and then access my
    desktop. This will work for email, calender and IM. I cannot find a
    console program to read openoffice files

    Problems: Neither of these have openoffice as standard. This would
    therefore mean that either I copy the files across, save it to another
    computer over there and then access the file or I forward the X session
    across

Thought 2

    Get a CD Live version of Ubuntu and run that. For the openoffice files,
    either scp the files across and run those or use Openoffice to open the
    files over an ssh tunnel (not sure how)

Any advice greatfully received

--
Henry