Re: [LUG] Setting network bandwidths?

Grant Sewell wrote:

> Err... OK. Is LARTC something that is easily configurable on a single
>  desktop machine?

It is the name of the documentation -- do try a search engine. By and
large the kernel features required for most things are built in.

> I have my mail server and web using apticron already so they do their
> updating overnight.

So something like "apt-proxy" or a caching proxy would presumably avoid
downloading the same data over the same link again?

> Something along the lines of "netrestrict -r 256k 'command'" (a made
> up command, incidentally) would be ideal.

Not seen anything like that. Although I'm sure it is possible. Usually
by the time the data is in the network layer you've forgotten what the
source was, and it is often easiest to match it by the destination or
other network like attribute.