Re: [LUG] Virtulisation

Simon Waters wrote:

> I doubt requiring modified kernel is of itself a problem, in that new
> kernels will have the relevant changes in (or can be easily applied).

Just started playing with QEMU, looks a laugh! Currently installing
debian into a VM and its going pretty fast. The VM on my workstation is
faster than my laptop anyway!

Eveything seems to install ok on a new kernel and it looks like no
worries to install what ever guest kernel. Hope I can get USB working!

> Or is the concern just that it might not be a representative test
> environment, I think that will apply whichever virtualisation technology
> one uses.

Of cause this is a worry but the driver should work on a VM the same as
another kernel. If it can be made to work on one system then it can be
tested on others ,non vm other arches etc to check all is OK. There is
nothing *timing critical* in the driver.

If this helps me fix bugs quicker then it will be considered a success.

I have also once took out my entire filesystem when my driver went very
very bad! So this will be a thing of the pas, or a least not serious :-)

Regards

Robin