Re: [LUG] Virtulisation

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On 7/7/06, Kai Hendry <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Xen looks like the best. Though I haven't used it except for some live
>> CD test.  http://www.debian-administration.org/?search=xen&go=Go
>
> Xen does indeed look good but comments about it requires a modified
> kernel to run are concerning. I need *very* new kernels for my
> development. We rely on the dscape 802.11 stack that is only present
> in wireless-dev .git tree. Or can be patched into kernels >-2.6.16 i
> must look into this to get more details but it could cripple my plans.

UML requires patched kernels to work anywhere close to reliably when I
tried it. Theoretically it didn't, in practice...

I doubt requiring modified kernel is of itself a problem, in that new
kernels will have the relevant changes in (or can be easily applied).

Or is the concern just that it might not be a representative test
environment, I think that will apply whichever virtualisation technology
one uses.

I suspect the LKML is probably a better place for the question.