Re: [LUG] Freeview cards & Linux

Simon Avery wrote:

> Hauppuage Win-TV 2000 pci. 8/10. And the one currently recording quite
> well and easily outperforms all the others including the digibox for
> coping with a poor signal.

We're in an area of exceptionally poor reception (30+ miles to the
transmitter and some large hills very much in the way).  I found the
same card just couldn't pick out a signal, whereas a freeview box would.

Fortunately we now have a shiny new high-gain aerial.  Unfortunately I
have to run 40m of aerial cable to get it to the PC, through a wall at
least two feet thick, so it hasn't happened yet.

> btw, anyone wanting to play and building a media PC, there's a lot of
> pitfalls. The most notable is the lack of *good* software. Mediaportal
> is by far the best I found that wasn't MCE (which costs a fortune to buy
> and subscribe), MP is opensource but runs on windows. Linux stuff I had
> no joy at all with, geekbox, myth and some others I tried just flat out
> refused to work for me.

I've been running mythtv since v0.7, when it was a bit of a pig to get
running.  These days (v0.18.1 -- I've got not around to upgrading to
v0.19 yet) it seems to work for most people without too much pain.  The
VCR isn't quite unused these days (we still have some stuff on tape that
I haven't digitised yet), but I've not recorded anything on tape in well
over a year.  Certainly it has its faults (the music player bit has a
truly awful user interface), but generally I'm really pleased with it.

James