Re: [LUG] Things which annoy me - scrollwheel, num lock, flash plugin, X

On 05/07/06, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben Goodger wrote:

> No. Why do all FreeSoftware&trade; zealots tell everyone to do this? I am
> NOT going to remove Flash and I am NOT going to stop using it. I just
> wanted to know how to make it work.

Contact the vendor and ask for a fixed version.

Hacky hacks are here -- but it is a Macromedia code problem by the looks
of it.

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/29760

Eventually GNASH and friends will catch up with where the content you
want is currently -- till then you are largely dependent on how well
Macromedia code handles the format, the answer - not very well at the
moment.

So it's definitely Adobe's fault and not that of the people who do the plugin architecture in Gecko? Oh well. Perhaps in Flash 8.5 (released simultaneously to the Windows version) they'll have fixed this, but the keyboard input (which affects Java also) is down to firefox afaik. It is a shame that Windows has become my benchmark for hardware and software testing again, but there we are: it works in Windows, therefore there should not be a barrier to getting keyboard input in Linux.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382