Re: [LUG] Fwd: Firefox and Linux

Tom Edwards wrote:

> I agree, there has been talk of Linux being sluggish recently compared
> to Windows (lugradio episodes)

Never heard it elsewhere. Experience here is that on the same hardware
GNU/Linux based stuff is a lot more responsive, and happily runs a lot
more on the same hardware at the same time than say Windows XP.

Most likely problem is lots of fancy graphics, and a bad choice of
graphics card, or configuration problems.

I doubt processor specific binaries are the issue, whilst the general
binaries can bloat a little by having code for different CPUs, the only
demonstrable and significant gain I've ever seen is when enabling the
multimedia options for mplayer, which can allow playback of fullscreen
video on low end CPUs which have MPEG extensions. The (3rd party) Debian
version use to disable these features, rather than allow them to be
selected at run time, I've no idea why they did this.

Sure there are always specific edge cases that benefit from hardware
specific optimisations, but most routine desktop use is dominated my
disk accesses (Linux does caching well), memory management (Linux has
three models for this in the 2.6 kernel, perhaps best to make sure your
desktops have a kernel optimised for desktop usage), and context
switching (Where GNU/Linux has always excelled).

Probably just as well, as I don't think anyone would claim GCC turns out
code as fast as the Microsoft or Intel C compilers (well it may do
recently, but historically it hasn't), yet the fair few percentage
points difference from choice of compiler was rarely mentioned by anyone.

The same sort of comments might be applied to many other benchmarks, how
many Windows v GNU/Linux benchmarks have you read that discussed
compiler choice? Some of the chess engine crowd, who care about CPU
performance, will test their code with multiple compilers, but the
reality is for most applications it isn't a CPU bottleneck that limits
performance, and so improvements to the compiler, its flags and
optimisations are pretty small beer unless they change something
fundamental about how the program accesses disk, memory, or the graphics
card.

There are of course specific cases that hurt, running GTK based
applications on Windows, is a sure way to make them run like a dog,
where as the same application in GNOME in GNU/Linux flies because the
core libraries are already loaded into memory. Similarly running KDE
apps in GNOME, or vice versa, is a recipe for slow start-up times (at
least the first time an application is run since booting) for the same
reason.