Re: [LUG] Open source attitude - and a call for people who want to work with open source

On 13/06/06, John Horne <john.horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 13:56 +0100, Kevin Bailey wrote:
> > >
> > >I was asked a curious question at work a short while ago. It is possible
> > >that we will undertake a project in 2007/8 provided that we can get the
> > >funding (amongst other things). The project will require using
> > >open-source software. I was asked if it would be possible for me to talk
> > >to some individuals to see if they have "the right attitude towards OSS
> > >software in order to work on the project".
> > >

> > Basically it means someone who has been trained or trained themselves to
> > a reasonably high level in the subject of 'computing'. This means TCP,
> > unix, networking, programming properly, hardware, servers etc. and then
> > built on this knowledge with experience.
> >
> So not really anything particular to OSS then?

Actually I'd guess that "the right attitude towards OSS" would be
enthusiastic but pragmatic, enthusiasm means reading up on things on
your own time, and pragmatic means sticking purely to doing the
minimum work with OSS and using any proprietary resources that the
university has already invested in whereever possible.

In the time I was at Plymuff Uni there was a huge cultural bias
towards all things microsoft, from having people selling MS courses
interrupting our lectures to sell us something we didn't want, to
refusing to even consider offering Cisco or Novell certification, and
generally shunning all things *nix.

Hopefully it's changed a bit since I finished in 2000, but most of
what I saw outside of a handful of individuals was a microsoft
love-in.

A.