[LUG] Open source attitude?

Hello,

I was asked a curious question at work a short while ago. It is possible
that we will undertake a project in 2007/8 provided that we can get the
funding (amongst other things). The project will require using
open-source software. I was asked if it would be possible for me to talk
to some individuals to see if they have "the right attitude towards OSS
software in order to work on the project".

We are very much an MS Windows site with some central services provided
on Linux/Unix servers. Most of the IT staff are very conversant with
Windows; some are familiar with Linux but mainly from a curiosity or
'does it work under Linux' point of view.

What I can't figure out is what 'attitude' is it that OSS people are
supposed to have? Do others see us, as users/installers/coders of OSS
software, with a particular 'attitude'? Do I have this attitude; do you?
Comments?

(I should add that since we have no funding it is pointless looking for
staff at this stage, so no 'talking' will take place. The project will
require someone of experience, and as such would already have the 'right
attitude' anyway.)

John.