Re: [LUG] Open source attitude - and a call for people who want to work with open source

John Horne wrote:
On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 13:56 +0100, Kevin Bailey wrote:

I was asked a curious question at work a short while ago. It is possible
that we will undertake a project in 2007/8 provided that we can get the
funding (amongst other things). The project will require using
open-source software. I was asked if it would be possible for me to talk
to some individuals to see if they have "the right attitude towards OSS
software in order to work on the project".

Basically it means someone who has been trained or trained themselves to
a reasonably high level in the subject of 'computing'. This means TCP,
unix, networking, programming properly, hardware, servers etc. and then
built on this knowledge with experience.

So not really anything particular to OSS then?

OSS is a massive part of today's computing environment; Web serving, Applications, Email, FTP etc etc etc so understanding computing and working with OSS go hand in hand.

I suppose I was trying to say to avoid a certain type which I come across which have only ever seen MS products and don't know anything else.  They tend to believe the MS FUD and don't realise how little they know about IT as a whole - and they don't realise how far behind and what poor quality MS products are.

If you mention unix/linux then they'll probably run a mile anyway.

Kevin

John.