[LUG] New camera

Have just bought a new digital camera Canon A610. I would like to use
it with digikam. (I use Mandriva2006). I noticed that the camera is not
in the list of supported cameras, but it appears as an addition in the
latest version of libgphoto2-2.1.99.

So I downloaded that file, extracted it in my
home folder and the ran the usual ./configure, make, make install. At
the end of the configure step I was told that I could now go on to
make, make install so I assumed all was well. The other stuff ran
through so quickly that if there were any problems I could not have
spotted them.

Anyway, at the end I expected to find the newly added cameras included
in the list, but not so. Now I am wondering what I did wrong, or
perhaps what I did not do right. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Any help appreciated

TIA

Neil Winchurst