Re: [LUG] Magnia SG20

Hi Neil

On 29 May 2006, at 09:19, Neil Williams wrote:

> It seems a little too hardened to me. No ping response, nmap reports
> All
> 1674 scanned ports on ... are: filtered
So how do I go about opening these ports up and will that compromise
the server please?

> How are you proposing to modify files on this server? Is it local? What
> if you need to change files whilst away from your usual machine(s)
> and/or in case of a service failure / hardware failure with your usual
> machine(s)?
I am trying to modify them locally. However, I have a problem in that I
want to run a wordpress blog locally. However, when I try to
http://86.53.38.156 I get a login console to the Netgear router!?

> The current homepage needs to be replaced - it contains a lot more
> information than the equivalent Apache page.
I will change it as quickly as I can sort out the above.

> I wouldn't worry about email harvesting of the IP address - to be
> useful
> this server will need to be in some form of DNS and will end up with
> some form of HTML link to it from another part of the web. There's
> little point in having a web server that is internet-visible if it
> cannot be located by search engines.
I am trying to arrange this. I have asked the folks I co-host a server
with whether it is possible to point a site I own to this url. They
have said it is possible but will have to do some things:
There are two things which seem to be needed.  One is a wildcard DNS
entry - an A record for *.domain-name.com pointing to the server's IP
address.  That will be no problem.  The other is to make changes to the
vhost.conf file.  I'm not sure what changes are needed - it is possibly
simply the inclusion of the line Server Alias *.domain-name, but I
cannot be sure.  Both of these should be fine.

Can you maybe tell me what I need to do please?

Thanks.
--
Rich
http://www.cregy.co.uk