Re: [LUG] Talking of things not working - Thunderbird 1.5

Hi,

Thunderbird gets settings from several places. And it will vary with
distro I expect (unless you download a prepackaged version from Mozilla).

In Debian Sid with GNOME the default is to use the GNOME preferred
application (Desktop>Preferences>"Preferred Applications").

This can be overridden by setting the global preference in
/usr/lib/thunderbird/defaults/prefs/all.js.

Or in the users prefs.js file
(~/.mozilla-thunderbird/<randomprofilename>.default/prefs.js (you should
shut the application before editing the prefs.js file).

In particular the settings you want are
"network.protocol-handler.app.[protocol]"

There are some commented out examples in the Debian all.js file in
/usr/lib/thunderbird/defaults/prefs/ which can be used as a reference.

all.js:// pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http","mozilla-firefox");
all.js:// pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https","mozilla-firefox");

I'd suggest that the Window Managers preferences be respected, which is
what happens by default on my desktop, as that allows other users to
change their own settings in one place, which is the cool way, but they
can still edit their prefs.js if they want Thunderbird to open a
different browser to everything else that requests a browser. The goal
being to make "the common case easy, and more unusual requests not too
hard".

With KDE, just tell Klipper to offer you the choices you might want when
you highlight the URL, as that is I think an excellent way of handling
URLs. But I think KDE also has a preferred application thing as well,
but I don't using Thunderbird on KDE, I use Kmail, and that still opens
the wrong browser -- but I haven't bothered to fix that yet.

 Simon

-