Subject:        LUG
Date:   Mon, 22 May 2006 19:13:28 +0100
From:   Mark D. Thurston <Mark.Thurston.04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I can't post to the list -- that's being sorted out at the moment.  You
can forward this message on to the list if you like.

But anyway, this is not a firmware problem.  It is more of a feature.

The router needs to obtain an IP address for the internet (a public IP
address) from the modem.  It does this on bootup, via a DHCP client and
an init script, just like most linux boxes that I know of do (as no
doubt you are aware).  Therefore, the router can't obtain an ip address
for its internet port (the WAN port) when the router boots if the modem
is switched off (as the modem is the device that gives the router it's
details).
Along the same lines, your modem (ethernet modems only mind) would need
to be switched on before you boot up your computer, as ethernet  for
your linux box is set up on boot, via init scripts.

This is most likely to be a problem if you use telewest.  If you have an
router with a built in modem (aka ADSL router), it will never be an
issue.  Probably just something to add confusion to a perfectly simple
operation!

Hope that solves the confusion.

Regards,

Mark