Re: [LUG] [Fwd: LUG]

Julian Hall wrote:

> Thanks to Mark for the precise and accurate explanation below to my

The explanation still sounds like broken design decision or broken
firmware. You can rationalise most bad design decisions, doesn't make
them any better.

If the router can't get an IP for the Internet facing socket, it could
retry (most DHCP clients do this to an extent), and if it loses its
peer, it could retry when it comes back. Sounds like broken by design if
it isn't a bug, or perhaps it is just configuration option.

Looking at the PPPOE spec, which I assume is the governing standard, it
does specify a "doubling" timeout scheme, which could be a problem if
you wait too long. But all major OSes support bring PPP up on demand,
when a PADI request would be reissued if one was using PPPOE.

Either way this is all esoteric nonsense for ADSL users. Neil can get a
combined ADSL modem/router/wireless which will pretty much "just work".
The Netgear ADSL routers I've seen were especially easy to configure and
work well, I haven't seen the ones with built in wireless from Netgear.

-