Re: [LUG] MythTV etc

Possibly you mean 'low level of *efficiency*' since a low level of
inefficiency is a good thing.

 Yeah, that was it.

On 21/05/06, David Johnson <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
On Sunday 21 May 2006 17:20, Ben Goodger wrote:

> My dad's 800mHz machine can decode an MPEG-2 stream - otherwise known as a
> DVD. How you managed to achieve such a low level of inefficiency I've no
> idea.

A DVD is a completely different animal.

DVD bitrate = 3 to 10 Mbit/s
DVB bitrate = up to 32 Mbit/s

Good point... but I'm unlikely with a 160 gig hard disc to be recording at 32 Mb/s.

Plus the machine has to handle not only playback, but also a lot of network
traffic and buffering to disk. Then there's the UI which has to be drawn and
rendered every time you press a button.

The thing is not buffering to disk AFAIK, it is just recieving the stream over ethernet from the server eight metres away and decoding it. Nothing else, apart from Qt operations as you say. I think that any computer ought to be able to recieve a network connection without screwing its CPU, also. Seriously, how much power is needed for a mythfrontend??

Repeat, this thing is not going to be handling any TV signals, it's not going to be encoding anything, not going to be saving things to a hard disc (AFAIK)...

--
Ben Goodger
#391382