Re: [LUG] MythTV etc

On Sunday 21 May 2006 22:28, Ben Goodger wrote:

> Good point... but I'm unlikely with a 160 gig hard disc to be recording at
> 32 Mb/s.

Not megabytes a second, megabits - that's the rate at which DVB channels are
transmitted and that's how much MPEG data the processor will need to decode
each second - about 3x more than for a DVD.

> The thing is not buffering to disk AFAIK, it is just recieving the stream
> over ethernet from the server eight metres away and decoding it.

Mythfrontend does buffer to disk. It will be writing the incoming stream to
the end of the buffer, while playing from the front of the buffer. Disk
operations might not use much processor power, but they do cause interrupts
which have to be handled.

> Nothing else, apart from Qt operations as you say.

Don't underestimate this - QT can be pretty processor intensive unless you
turn off ALL the bells and whistles. Things like transparency, fading,
anti-aliasing, etc.

> I think that any computer ought
> to be able to recieve a network connection without screwing its CPU, also.

In addition to the data going across the network, there's all sorts of control
information going to and from the backend as well as one or more MySQL
connections to get settings, programme information, etc. - all this has to be
processed.

Most of these things are small compared to the processor power required for
decoding the MPEG, but they're not insignificant.

Plus you want to run a bloated desktop environment behind it which you'll
never see anyway because mythfrontend will be running full screen...

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson