Re: [LUG] MythTV etc

On 21/05/06, David Johnson <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday 21 May 2006 15:26, Ben Goodger wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a stupidly underspecified, small and ultra-silent PC I
> could obtain to stick mythfrontend on? Obviously its only functionality
> will be starting knoppmyth, logging into GNOME, and decoding a live MPEG-2
> stream. I'm talking 500mHz PII here, or something... Must also be very
> cheap, I'm on a budget of £600 for that, two tuners, cables and parts of a
> new desktop for myself.

You'll have to do better than 500MHz I'm afraid. I have a Via C3 1GHz machine
I wanted to use as a mythfrontend and it just couldn't cope with decoding the
video - and that was using an ultra-lightweight windowing system
(ratpoison[1]) on a cut-down Debian install.

You'll need around 1.5GHz to 2GHz.

My dad's 800mHz machine can decode an MPEG-2 stream - otherwise known as a DVD. How you managed to achieve such a low level of inefficiency I've no idea.

Get digital now - more channels, less stress on the machine as you don't have
to encode the video and they're not terribly more expensive than analogue
cards.
But don't get cards based on the bt878 chipset as they're rubbish[2] - get
cards based on any other chipset, such as the cx88 (e.g. the Hauppauge
Nova-T).

Any particular other model?

--
Ben Goodger