Re: [LUG] Buying a digital camera

Robin Cornelius wrote:

On 5/17/06, *Kai Hendry* <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    This is what I do. The gadget costs only a few quid. Don't bother with
    those camera picture exchange protocols. They rarely work.

    Though I'm probably going to snap up a small IXUS 800 with image
    stabilisation. No more blurred digital pics, hopefully.

Hi,

I've got an IXUS 500 and it is a very good camera, it also works perfectly with the gphoto2 client for downloading pictures via USB but as i often loose the cable, i agree, a USB card reader is the far easier option.

As a note my camera does not work out of the box on many of the windows machines here at work, but it did work on my debian system "out of the box", also my card reader did not behave on windows but works *perfectly* on linux

Robin

Am I right in thinking that a good card reader will also be DMA enabled whereas the camera itself won't have that feature, so using a card reader is actually faster? Or am I being daft?

Grant.

-