[LUG] Buying a digital camera

Now that my new computer (running Mandriva2006) has settled down and is
going nicely, it is time to move on to the next step, buying a digital
camera.

It seems that the program to use is digikam and I have version 0.7.3. I
have done some research (a book on Linux, the digikam handbook and the
internet) and the first step is to get my camera recognised by the
program.

Instructions:- select 'Camera, Add Camera' menu items then try the Auto
Detect button. If the camera is not found then try the Add button and
choose it from the list.

Nowhere does it explain what to do if my camera is not on the list nor
autodetected. Most of the cameras listed seem to be fairly old models,
however when I go to the shops to buy one I am sure to find only the
most recent models on offer. So this leaves me with some questions.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Should I make sure to buy a camera that is on the list, even if it has
now been superceded?

Should I instead install a more recent version of digikam, which
hopefully will include some more recent cameras in the list?

Any help/advice gratefully accepted....!!!

Thanks

Neil Winchurst

-