Re: [LUG] Microsoft Vista Hardware Requirements

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Is this going to explode in to another DVD/CCS type issue where its
> illegal to watch HD video on linux (in some countries) as the big
> vendors don't supports linux drivers and the 3rd party efforts are
> based on reverse engineering and the removal of DRM for the sake of
> interoperatability and with things like the DMCA in the US you are
> some kind of terrorist or somthing because you had to work around
> stupid copy protections that prevent you from just watching the
> stuff you have bought!
>

> Robin

I've always had issues with this.  When you load a DVD, does the
Copyright Notice say *anywhere* "You must have paid for the software /
hardware you use to view this DVD content"?

No.  It does not.

I would guess it's an issue that the distributors of the distros,
i.e.Redhat, Mandriva, Suse, etc are expected to pay a licensing fee to
include a decoding facility in their software, which is a different
issue.  Under those circumstances regrettably they may have to advise
customers that DVDCSS is available at a cost.  I paid for PowerDVD on
Windows, presumably partly because the makers had to pay to be allowed
to decode DVDs.

I also bought Nero for Windows.  That then gave me the ability later
on to download NeroLinux and insert the Windows license key.

Had Cyberlogic done that there would be no real problem for those who
have the Windows product.  I accept this would not be perfect as many
don't have or want anything to do with Windows.  Windows owners could
download Power DVD for Linux and insert their Windows license.
Instead Cyberlogic decided to bundle their Linux product with *one*
distribution only.

At the end of the day, the movie studios want to sell DVDs.  If they
get enough contact from people saying "We're not buying because we
can't play it on our chosen platform", maybe they'll listen.  *glances
out window* 'Oh look... a squadron of pigs over the Bristol
Channel...'.  However equally the DVD software houses want to sell
copies.  IMHO if the software were available people would either buy
the Windows copy just for the license key, or download the Linux
version and purchase a key online, or they will continue to use the
un-authorised route.

Kind regards,

Julian

-