Re: [LUG] Microsoft Vista Hardware Requirements

Quoting Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Henry Bremridge wrote:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
* 1 GB of system memory.
* A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
* 128 MB of graphics memory.
* 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
* DVD-ROM Drive3.
* Audio output capability.
* Internet access capability.

Windows Aero requires -   DirectX 9 class graphics processor that:
    -   Supports a WDDM Driver.
    -   Supports Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware.
    -   Supports 32 bits per pixel.
-   Adequate graphics memory.
    -   64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than
        1,310,720 pixels
    -   128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at
        resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels
    -   256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at
        resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels

Does buying a Windows Vista Capable PC mean that I will receive a free
upgrade to Windows Vista?

No. A PC that is Windows Vista Capable or Premium Ready means that the PC
is ready for an upgrade from Windows XP. You would still need to purchase
the edition of Windows Vista that you want to install on your Windows Vista
Capable or Premium Ready PC.

Henry

I'm looking forward to building  a server farm from all the pc's that
people will throw out when they downgrade to vista.
judging from the graphics card requirements it looks as if the
'improvements' will be made to eye candy and DRM!

Tom

What gets me if Microsoft don't give out a free upgrade to Vista for
the poor souls who buy a Vista ready PC this christmas.  I wonder how
many people buying vista ready PCs will be told that they have to fork
out EXTRA for Vista next year.  How much is an OS upgrade these days?
£100 or so?

Judging by the previous minimum specifications that Microsoft gave for
Windows 9x, XP etc, I think the minimum spec would probably be better
at...

3Ghz 64-bit processor
2GB of memory
Top of the range HDMI Geforce or ATI graphics card (SLI anyone?) with
512mb graphics memory
160GB hard drive (ideally 10,000RPM SATA)
DVD-ROM Drive with DRM enabled
7.1 surround sound
8mbit broadband minimum for the countless service packs & updates to
fix the new 256,000 bugs

I can't see how come vista would use 15GB?!?!?

15GB?  I don't think a FULL install of SUSE even uses that much does
it? and thats including thousands of other packages.

I wouldn't be suprised if Office required another 2 or 3GB.

Rob

-