Re: [LUG] Microsoft Vista Hardware Requirements

Simon Waters wrote:
Henry Bremridge wrote:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

Hehe if I disable stylesheets I can even read the content of that page
-- one for Matt to add to his collection of things not to do with a
stylesheet.

However a Vista capable PC requires only;

    * A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
    * 512 MB of system memory.
    * A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

The primary different is that this will not run all the eye candy
(Windows Aero), the only feature Microsoft mentions is "transparent
interface elements".

The good news is you can already do transparent interface elements cross
platform with CSS if you really feel the need ;) Yahoo even have a
library of Javascript so you can make them look like Windows 2003 +
transparency (I'm not sure why one would want to, except for humour value).

I couldn't find a definition of "DirectX 9 capable", but Radeon claim
the R300 (August 2002) was the first such graphics card. Microsoft imply
that DirectX 9 will run on a lot older machines, but I'm thinking decent
graphics card from within the last 3 years (this probably rules out all
my PCs, not that I regard that as any great issue you understand).

However I think it is good for companies to be open and honest about
hardware requirements, and to say so upfront, and early. People buying
new PCs won't be put off by this.

Remember the guys who wrote X were laughed at when they said they were
designing for a 16MB desktop machine, because no one would ever have one
of those.

 Simon

PS: Don't tell Matt I have traffic light coloured controls for
maximizing, minimizing and closing my windows now, he'll think I'm
turning my PC into a Mac OS clone.

-

I read somewhere that DRM is coming to Vista with a vengeance. If your graphics card does not have build in drm you can only watch stuff in low res - and yes that includes your own media unless you pay to have it signed! So even if you own a fantastic HD DVD you wont be able to watch it in full res on your PC in case your a pirate who will of course be able to bypass the DRM anyway. For some reason they don't shout about that! But think about it - how else can you get DRM to work unless you stop people watching non signed media? You surely cant let them have control of their own PC!
Tom

-