Re: [LUG] Village Broadband

hmmm I wonder if MythTV can be set up as an interface to a skybox.

On 5/15/06, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Grant Sewell wrote:

> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Kevin Tunison wrote:
>>
>>> If one has ever been to the BETT conventions, you can't help but
>>> notice the money spewing off their area.
>>>
>>> I have had the displeasure of working on an RM network, and their
>>> helpdesk is (or at least was two years ago) terrible.
>>>
>>> Three months ago before subscribing to Sky, we first tried setting
>>> up with Telewest.  The salesperson explained they couldn't set us up
>>> because they would have to get permission to dig through our
>>> neighbors garden.  When I pressed, he gave a number to their
>>> engineers to leave a voicemail about getting a Telewest line.  They
>>> definitely did not seemed bothered to sign us up if it required
>>> anything more than reconnecting wires.
>>>
>> Maybe things might be better now they have merged with NTL.  When I
>> was living in Derby, I took on an NTL Broadband/phone connection.  My
>> area was cabled up, but I was living in the ONLY house who didn't
>> have a cable already in.  The NTL engineers came round early on a
>> Saturday morning and wired the house up to the cabinet, installed 2
>> phone lines and set everything up.  I was impressed with the
>> service.  IIRC, it was free installation too!
>>
>> Where we live, we can't get Sky.  At least we can't supposidly get
>> Sky.  It's all down to the trees behind the house which block the
>> line of sight to the satellite.  This is according to a Sky engineer
>> who tried to install it for my girlfriend before I moved in.  I dare
>> say if I go to an independent installer they could get round the
>> problem (without cutting down the trees ;-) )
>>
>> Rob
>

> I think it's down to whether it'd be a "standard installation" or
> not.  When we upgraded from Sky analogue to Sky Digital we enquired
> about installing it ourselves.  They (Sky) declined our offer.  Then
> sent an engineer around who refused to replace the dish.  Basically,
> it was in his contract that he could only install/replace dishes that
> were attached to the building, and only upto a certain height from
> ground-level.  Because our house is a listed building, we aren't
> allowed to have the dish attached to the building, so we installed the
> original analogue dish in the garden on a cemented-in tripod of our
> own design.  But, the engineer refused to replace it, even though it's
> actually at eye-level anyway, because of his contract.  To finish off
> this rather long story, we had to have a "non standard installation"
> (for which Sky tried to charge us an extra £40... which we refused to
> pay...), but it turns out that this "non standard installation" clause
> means that you *can* have a Sky dish installed by Sky themselves, even
> if it's at the top of a pole... if you're prepared to argue for it.
>
> Grant

Well at the moment I'm happy with Freeview.  I'm even planning on
building a MythTV box (well have started building) which I'm planning on
fitting a couple of Freeview cards to.  I was considering for the future
of maybe investing in a satellite system.  I think if I did go for one,
I'd have it professionally installed.

Rob

-