Re: [LUG] Village Broadband

Grant Sewell wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:

Kevin Tunison wrote:

If one has ever been to the BETT conventions, you can't help but notice the money spewing off their area. I have had the displeasure of working on an RM network, and their helpdesk is (or at least was two years ago) terrible. Three months ago before subscribing to Sky, we first tried setting up with Telewest. The salesperson explained they couldn't set us up because they would have to get permission to dig through our neighbors garden. When I pressed, he gave a number to their engineers to leave a voicemail about getting a Telewest line. They definitely did not seemed bothered to sign us up if it required anything more than reconnecting wires.

Maybe things might be better now they have merged with NTL. When I was living in Derby, I took on an NTL Broadband/phone connection. My area was cabled up, but I was living in the ONLY house who didn't have a cable already in. The NTL engineers came round early on a Saturday morning and wired the house up to the cabinet, installed 2 phone lines and set everything up. I was impressed with the service. IIRC, it was free installation too!

Where we live, we can't get Sky. At least we can't supposidly get Sky. It's all down to the trees behind the house which block the line of sight to the satellite. This is according to a Sky engineer who tried to install it for my girlfriend before I moved in. I dare say if I go to an independent installer they could get round the problem (without cutting down the trees ;-) )

Rob

I think it's down to whether it'd be a "standard installation" or not. When we upgraded from Sky analogue to Sky Digital we enquired about installing it ourselves. They (Sky) declined our offer. Then sent an engineer around who refused to replace the dish. Basically, it was in his contract that he could only install/replace dishes that were attached to the building, and only upto a certain height from ground-level. Because our house is a listed building, we aren't allowed to have the dish attached to the building, so we installed the original analogue dish in the garden on a cemented-in tripod of our own design. But, the engineer refused to replace it, even though it's actually at eye-level anyway, because of his contract. To finish off this rather long story, we had to have a "non standard installation" (for which Sky tried to charge us an extra £40... which we refused to pay...), but it turns out that this "non standard installation" clause means that you *can* have a Sky dish installed by Sky themselves, even if it's at the top of a pole... if you're prepared to argue for it.

Grant

Well at the moment I'm happy with Freeview. I'm even planning on building a MythTV box (well have started building) which I'm planning on fitting a couple of Freeview cards to. I was considering for the future of maybe investing in a satellite system. I think if I did go for one, I'd have it professionally installed.

Rob

-