Re: [LUG] Permisssion denied even to root

Neil Williams wrote:
> Keith Abraham wrote:
>> I did a badblocks check of my Reiser fs and discovered 341 bad blocks
>> in 7 isolated clumps.
>
> Depends if those can be repaired or skipped. How much free space is/was
> on the drive? How much disk space do you actually need?

Junk it.

>> I'm guessing, in my ignorance, that this looks to be the result of power
>> outages.
>
> A UPS would be a sensible investment in that case. No point subjecting a
> replacement drive to the same abuse. £30.

Modern drives almost all park the head on power loss. The bad blocks are
probably due to something else. A UPS might save your data, it might
save your motherboard, it might save your peripherals, but the disk
drives will probably not be affected unless a power spike fries the
controller.

> but AFAICT, hard discs either work or fail completely.

We just sent one back to DELL because the servo mechanism wasn't as
responsive as it should have been. Although you wouldn't have noticed
unless you ran the hard drive diagnostics, which we were running to
solve a different problem <sigh>.

>> But I suppose I had better scrape my pennies together and
>> buy another drive. Any recommendations for a good quality drive?

We've had a load of MAXTOR drives from DABS (because of the prompt
delivery) and never had a problem with any of them. But I think
generally if you aren't after the latest and greatest, most of the big
brand names are shifting lower spec drives at rock bottom prices.

-