Re: [LUG] Permisssion denied even to root

Keith Abraham wrote:
> I did a badblocks check of my Reiser fs and discovered 341 bad blocks
> in 7 isolated clumps.

Depends if those can be repaired or skipped. How much free space is/was
on the drive? How much disk space do you actually need?

> I'm guessing, in my ignorance, that this looks to be the result of power
> outages.

A UPS would be a sensible investment in that case. No point subjecting a
replacement drive to the same abuse. £30.

> Also I seem to remember reading somewhere that no drive
> is entirely free fo bad blocks.

Possibly - but not so as you'd notice. With small drives (250Mb), you
may have noticed but the only time I come across incremental loss of
good blocks is on some solid-state media like CompactFlash. Others here
have more recent hardware experience, but AFAICT, hard discs either work
or fail completely.

> But I suppose I had better scrape my pennies together and
> buy another drive. Any recommendations for a good quality drive?

Depends how big you need it. You won't get a small drive (<10Gb) new
anymore, new 40Gb drives can be as little as £30.
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=2884&GroupID=195

Just don't buy off-the-shelf at a certain out-of-town chain that
advertises on TV a lot.
;-)

If it's any good, it's over priced with them. If it's cheap there, it's
no good.

--

Neil Williams