Re: [LUG] Freespire

Rob Beard wrote:
> That got me thinking about software licences.  Okay, so this Freespire
> can play lots of different media such as Flash, QuickTime, Real,
> WindowsMedia, but I considered the discussion on the LUG the other day.
>
> Since some of the software is proprietary, what is stopping the
> companies who licence this code to Linspire to change their minds and
> demand that users stop using Freespire.

Absolutely nothing. What's more, some of those licences may require that
users remove the data created using the proprietary software - as Amazon
does.

"Freespire" is not free at all.

> Surely it would be better for the Lindows coders to put their efforts
> into creating Open Source versions of these media codecs?

Absolutely true.

> I think I'll stick to Ubuntu.  I can't help but think Freespire is
> trying to be another Ubuntu/Fedora/OpenSuse.

No, they are just being a parasite and deserve nothing but contempt.

Dressing up proprietary software under a "free" name is deliberately
trying to mislead users.

--

Neil Williams