Re: [LUG] Freespire

On Thursday 27 April 2006 09:02, Tom Potts wrote:

> Alas its worse than that:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060424164142296
> Tom

That's a pretty good article.

The main problem I have with Lin/Freespire, in addition to their love for
proprietary software, is that they take a lot from the community (i.e. the
Free Software available through their Click'n'Run warehouse, which Linspire
users have to pay to access) and give *nothing* back. Even when they do
release something as Free/open source (because they're required to do so
because they've used GPL'd code) they make it unacceptably difficult for
people to use the source they make available - e.g. sources which don't
compile, apps which have silly dependencies on things in Linspire so you
can't use them on other distros, etc. etc.
As far as I'm aware when they modify a piece of software they don't send their
changes to the original developer for inclusion like other distros do, they
just chuck the source somewhere and forget about it.

Not only do they support and sell proprietary software, but they develop the
stuff too. An example being Lassist Reminders[1] for which they charge $49.95
and do not publish the source.

It will be interesting to see how many people contribute to their
"community-driven" distribution. Linspire have never paid any attention to
the community before, so I can only hope the community returns the favour.

Regards,
David.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/zvtx4

--