[LUG] Freespire

Hi folks,

I was just browsing through my e-mail and I found an annoucement from Linspire.

It turns out that they are releasing a 'free' version of Linspire called Freespire. I checked out the web site (www.freespire.org) and while at first I thought it would be a good idea, I started to read that they are using proprietary software.

That got me thinking about software licences. Okay, so this Freespire can play lots of different media such as Flash, QuickTime, Real, WindowsMedia, but I considered the discussion on the LUG the other day.

Since some of the software is proprietary, what is stopping the companies who licence this code to Linspire to change their minds and demand that users stop using Freespire.

Surely it would be better for the Lindows coders to put their efforts into creating Open Source versions of these media codecs?

I think I'll stick to Ubuntu. I can't help but think Freespire is trying to be another Ubuntu/Fedora/OpenSuse.

Rob

-