Re: [LUG] Freespire

Neil Williams wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:
That got me thinking about software licences.  Okay, so this Freespire
can play lots of different media such as Flash, QuickTime, Real,
WindowsMedia, but I considered the discussion on the LUG the other day.

Since some of the software is proprietary, what is stopping the
companies who licence this code to Linspire to change their minds and
demand that users stop using Freespire.

Absolutely nothing. What's more, some of those licences may require that
users remove the data created using the proprietary software - as Amazon
does.

"Freespire" is not free at all.

Ahh, I didn't read the licences, I just had a quick look at the site linked into the e-mail. I'm guessing there would be many more people who like me, skimmed through the licence.

Surely it would be better for the Lindows coders to put their efforts
into creating Open Source versions of these media codecs?

Absolutely true.

I think I'll stick to Ubuntu.  I can't help but think Freespire is
trying to be another Ubuntu/Fedora/OpenSuse.

No, they are just being a parasite and deserve nothing but contempt.

Dressing up proprietary software under a "free" name is deliberately
trying to mislead users.
Maybe they're trying to be the next Microsoft?

Rob

-