Re: [LUG] Multi-session

Quoting Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

My old computer had a floppy drive and a zip drive for storing data. It
had a CD drive too, but read only.

Now my new computer, with Mandriva2006, has a read/write DVD drive. My
supplier has sold me some CD-R disks for backups etc and was talking
about setting them up as multi-session, whatever that means. I have
looked around for this but without success.

Can anyone explain what he was on about and if it is available in Linux?

TIA

Neil Winchurst

Okay, I was trying to think of a way of explaining it, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head. This link on Roxio's web site will give you more information: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/cdr/multisession.html

In regards to Linux writing multisession discs, yes it should possible with the CD/DVD writer application called K3B.

The advantage of writing discs in multisession is that you can keep adding to the disc until it is full (AFAIK some space is taken up by the lead-in and lead-out data on the disc).

Rob

-