Re: [LUG] Software Licences

On Friday 21 April 2006 20:15, Neil Williams wrote:

> Peter, can you enlighten me on how the JMRI *software* is actually
> connected to the circuit boards that pass a signal to the devices (trains)
> themselves?

Hi Neil

In my case I use DCC, and Lenz.  I have  a little black box (the LI101F) which
plugs into my computer and my Command Station. I also understand that Lenz
sometimes provides a copy of JMRI on the disk which comes with the LI101F.

In nearly all cases the manufacturers provide the physical black box.  (Which
can be a problem as they often give JMRI on the disk.  The user then thinks
they have bought JMRI and give us stick on the list when it does not work.

I was planning sometime to bring an example to a meeting!    (Toy trains!)

There is also the facility to connect to other systems  like Bruce Chubs.

BUT your question.  Various DCC manufacturers provide computer interfaces.
They tell you the "shape" of the message that must be sent to the device.
All JMRI does is become a virtual throttle.

Sorry I know I have not answered your question.  Prompt me

Peter

-