Re: [LUG] Software Licences

On Friday 21 April 2006 7:56 pm, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> It already is over here :
> http://webdb4.patent.gov.uk/patents?csbpub=GB2353228&csbtype=F

:-) Just as I sent my own reply with that link, yours appeared in the inbox.

> You can thank Lord Sainsbury and Mr Probert for their keen support of
> software patents ensuring that no good idea goes unpunished.

It's quite close to Lord Sainsbury's favourite example of a good patent:
systems to control traffic lights. JMRI is one component of a system to
control electrical devices on tracks.

Peter, can you enlighten me on how the JMRI *software* is actually connected
to the circuit boards that pass a signal to the devices (trains) themselves?

Might JMRI have some sort of permission to access the interface from whoever
creates the hardware? The JMRI site claims to try to be independent of
specific hardware systems so presumably there is more than one? If you
purchase one of these hardware interfaces, what software are you expected to
use to control it? If you use something like JMRI yourself, does your
hardware come with some form of licence or permission to use certain software
control methods?

--

Neil Williams