Re: [LUG] Gconf problems on Debian

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 05:48:21PM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
> >
> > Apr 18 15:47:42 localhost kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft
> > Joliet Level 3 Apr 18 15:47:42 localhost kernel: ISOFS: changing to
> > secondary root Apr 18 15:48:57 localhost kernel: ISO 9660
> > Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3 Apr 18 15:48:57 localhost
> > kernel: ISOFS: changing to secondary root Apr 18 15:49:02 localhost
> > kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3 Apr 18
> > 15:49:02 localhost kernel: ISOFS: changing to secondary root Apr 18
> > 15:49:10 localhost kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet
> > Level 3 Apr 18 15:49:10 localhost kernel: ISOFS: changing to
> > secondary root Apr 18 15:49:12 localhost kernel: ISO 9660
> > Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3 Apr 18 15:49:12 localhost
> > kernel: ISOFS: changing to secondary root
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > 1/ Can anyone point me in the right direction -   to stop this gconf
> > server starting
>
> Urm you sure you don't want it running?

My mistake, bad wording: if I am not running any gnome software then I
do not see why the gconf server should run. I do not see what harm it
does but I can't understand why it should run

> > -   to stop this ISO 9660 error message (I presume this is because I
> > ran gconftool-2 etc as root as opposed to user)
>
> I'm thinking maybe take the CD out of the CDROM drive? I'm not sure
> why you think this is related.

Whoops! Yes, just that this was just after I was playing around with the
gconf instructions: under root.

> > 2/ I presume that there is no problem if I remove the directory
> > $/.gconf/apps/gnumeric? Or would it be better if I removed gnucash,
> > removed the directory and then reinstalled it?
>
> Most (all?) of the "~/.gconf" and "~/.gnome" files are created first
> time you run the corresponding applications, so you can usually safely
> rename them out of the way.
>
> I usually prefer to "add a user" and see if my problems go away
> logging into a completely clean account (I also check as that all the
> processes my regular user account has are gone after I log out of my
> graphical desktop), if the problems do go away it is my config, if
> they don't it is the servers config. This sounds especially useful
> test if you ran something as root when you didn't mean to.

Many thanks