Re: [LUG] Turboprint - again.

Julian Hall wrote:

The problem is that this money isn't actually supporting the free software
community, neither is the code.

Forgive me, but is that saying I should pay the developers?

I think that offering some money for (a plausible start/step on the way/finishing/adding a feature to) GPL or other licenced software that doesn't exist at present is a reasonable thing for an individual to do. I've done it three times and been pleased with the effect. A strength of the open source community is in making the individual efforts of anarchists additive through social software - I suspect that there is a possible highly effective class of applications for this possible, but not yet elaborated or having met a critical mass of users with a little spare money.

Some avariety of escrow, or making a pledge at the pledgbank.org are possible approaches.

Simple question, how do you suggest 'that money [goes] to further free
software development'?  Do I send a cheque to the CUPS development team?

Let us distinguish the ideal from the pragmatic, and accept instances of venial sin for convenience or pleasure, for the moment.

--
Midgley

-