Re: [LUG] Turboprint - again.

On Monday 17 April 2006 4:53 pm, Julian Hall wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> > Ugh, Turboprint. We've had that discussion before too - please avoid
> > using non-free software like that.
>
> Not wishing to start a flame-war or argument (so any replies direct to
> me if you like), but some of us have no option.

Simply untrue. Freedom is always the best option.

Stop thinking only of yourself and start thinking about others. If you want
better free software in the future, you - as an individual - need to make a
sacrifice for the greater good.

> I have an Epson Photo
> Stylus R200 and right now Turbo Print is the only decent way to get the
> full quality out of it.

And that's why, do you think? Yes, because Turboprint sacrifice freedom to
sign up to licences and agreements that are intrinsically abhorrent.

If we all did the same with other hardware, there would be no free software at
all.

> Until CUPS etc provide a full solution to this
> I'll continue using Turbo-Print.

You're missing the point of free software. CUPS don't have access to these
functions because of the ideology, not a lack of code.

> Having said *that* some people on
> www.linuxprinting.org are having limited success (although nobody has
> mentioned getting the full 5760 dpi out of it in Linux), so when I have
> the time (read after my exams in Uni) I'll have another look.

Do you really need that extra? Do you actually value free software?

--

Neil Williams