Re: [LUG] Turboprint - again.

On 17/04/06, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Not wishing to start a flame-war or argument (so any replies direct to
> > me if you like), but some of us have no option.
>
> Simply untrue. Freedom is always the best option.

And sometimes, free software either isn't available or doesn't meet
requirements.

Unlike life in general, software only reduces your freedom when you
allow it, and you can choose your software at any time, unlike your
government, which if you're lucky enough to live in a modern democracy
you can change every 4 or 5 years.

> Stop thinking only of yourself and start thinking about others. If you want
> better free software in the future, you - as an individual - need to make a
> sacrifice for the greater good.

Nonsense. The guy is already using Linux with hundreds of free
software applications, drivers and plugins on top. He's already
sacrificed time to learn the platform and get involved in the LUG
List, he's even put his hand in his pocket to shell out for software
in order to be able to use Linux for printing etc.

I think the best sacrifice for the greater good would be to STFU. You
can't demand everybody be like you and meet your self imposed
ideological purity.

I write free software and contribute to the community in other ways,
one of the best ways I've contributed is by dropping the zeal,
learning to keep my mouth shut and stopped driving away anybody who
doesn't share my politics.

I've actually managed to not mention software patents on the london
perl monger list and irc channel for close to 6 months. I reccomend
you consider following a similar strategy and contribute by your
actions rather than your rants.

> If we all did the same with other hardware, there would be no free software at
> all.

Wrong. There is free software because people like me write it, emacs,
etc had to run on proprietary unix on proprietary hardware until Linux
and Hurd came along.

> > Until CUPS etc provide a full solution to this
> > I'll continue using Turbo-Print.
>
> You're missing the point of free software. CUPS don't have access to these
> functions because of the ideology, not a lack of code.

So blame epson rather than somebody who's already brought a printer
from them. You can't expect people to throw away their hardware
because the vendor doesn't play well with open source.

If CUPS doesn't work well enough, than paying for a solution that
jumps through the necessary hoops makes sense.

> Do you really need that extra? Do you actually value free software?

He's using linux, and he's paying out of his own pocket to make it
meet his requirements, rather than whining or running back to windows
so I'd say yes to both.

The proprietary software is enabling use of free and open source
software - this benefits everybody, every additional linux user of
epson printers is another reason for EPSON to open up, the alternative
would be another windows user and no reason for EPSON to change it's
ways.

Aaron Trevena
Free Software Author and LUG co-founder.

-